The end of 2019 is a couple of weeks away, and next year we start a new decade! We look back on how we’ve done on our 19 for 2019 goals and what we’ll still be working on in 2020.
Thank you to our newest patron, Melissa Hamilton! We really appreciate you supporting the podcast and helping us grow. Learn more about becoming a Semi-Together patron.
Wrapping Up the Year (and the Decade)
At the beginning of the last couple years, we have been inspired by the Happier with Gretchen Rubin podcast to make 18 for 2018 and 19 for 2019 lists of goals for the year. We strive to find a mix: some habit changes and some one-time actions, some that are just for fun and others that are for our own good.
When we hear about other people’s goals, we get a lot of new inspiration and ideas for our own, so we hope this is useful for you, too. We haven’t checked in with each other about our lists since Episode 19: The Year So Far.
We both have goals we’ve made little or no progress on, but many others we’ve completed or moved forward in big ways. Overall, we feel good about the strides we’ve made this year – and we’re excited to talk about our 20 for 2020 goals in an upcoming episode.
Gill’s 19 for 2019
- Renew passport
- Sign up for a new CSA (community-supported agriculture) basket
- Release 1 product for Semi-Together
- Release a Semi-Together episode every 2 weeks
- Go to Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans
- Release 12 new Tipsy Per Tutti pins
- Plan trips to at least 2 new places
- Schedule 2 medical appointments
- Print and change out new photos for hallway
- Hang travel photos and art prints
- Go to a class at the gym 12x a month
- Connect with faraway friends and fam via text at least 1x a week
- Journal and/or meditate 3x a week
- Make a batch of hard apple cider I’m happy with
- Make a batch of bitters
- Go on a hike or local adventure 1x a month
- Plan a monthly friends get-together in Barcelona
- Take on 2 more paid work projects/ clients I’m excited about
- Find a new Spanish tutor (or restart lessons with the previous one)
Melia’s 19 for 2019
- Make and maintain a budget and bill paying schedule. No late fees.
- Sub kid-friendly words for curse words.
- Meditate in some form every day, including micro-meditations.
- Marie Kondo the house to spark joy and open bandwidth.
- Tidy up after myself after each activity and teach the kids to do the same.
- De-escalate when angry.
- Warm hellos and goodbyes.
- Set and stick to bedtimes for the kids and us.
- Read or listen to 6 books.
- Give full focus and attention to the people and task at hand. Put down the device.
- Start a media company with Gill and launch at least 2 products.
- Refresh my wardrobe each season so I have what I need.
- Decorate for seasons and holidays.
- Start the “We’re In It Now” podcast with Darren.
- Back up my computer.
- Print a photo book of recent highlights and one for the kids with our close family members.
- Once a month, schedule a catch-up session with one friend I’ve been out of touch with.
- Put Reschool Yourself out into the world in some shape or form.
- Stay current on what’s going on in the world every day.
Melia’s latest organizing victory: the gift wrap & seasonal decor closet
Get It Together / Got It Together
We each share something that’s going well for us at the moment, and something else that we’d like to work on.
Melia Get It Together: Still not arranging her mornings to have enough creative or gym time
Melia Got It Together: Starting holiday prep earlier and scaling it back
Gill’s Get It Together: Letting the apartment get out of control
Gill’s Got It Together: Putting together some fun celebrations for Brian’s birthday
Get In Touch
How are you doing on your own list of goals or your 19 for 2019? Tell us which strategies have worked for you at podcast[at]semitogether.com, or send us a voice memo. You can also leave a comment on Facebook or Instagram.
If you haven’t already, please subscribe, rate, and review this podcast on Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen. If the podcast has brought joy to your life, why not share it with someone else? And sign up for our e-newsletter.